August 27, 2009

Play That Funky Music White Boy

Spin just did an article about the "white soul trend." And all I can say is I don't care what skin color they are as long as they are making decent music. I basically summarized all the various artists below but the article is here.

Mr Hudson - Supernova
Blond Englishmen croons with a little help from his friends (Kanye West and Auto-Tune). Although the vibe of the song is pretty decent.




Daniel Merriweather
- Change
More philosophical than Hudson just as experimental this time backed by Wale and Mark Ronson. Definitely more old school feeling, I think he's my favorite soul singer thus far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F5hFana8JA



Mathew Santos
- Superstar
This time an American versus an Aussie (Merriweather) supported by Lupe Fiasco. However its really Lupe's song.




Colin Munroe
- I Want Those Flashing Lights
Better than Kanye's version by a mile.




Mayer Hawthorne
- Just Ain't Gonna Work Out
Woah is this 1964 or 2009...I can't tell anymore.




Fitz And The Tantrums
- Still Looking
Another seriously old school band...but I dig.



Dan Black - Symphonies
Mentioned this man on my June Playlist seriously check this guy out he does amazing things. I'll put money on him blowing up in the next two years he's just too good to remain obscure.

Frankmusik
Another artist I have featured recently and another act doing amazing things (also a guy who wasn't featured on Spin's list). I have this post and this post about him. Check out VV Brown on the July Playlist as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment