August 3, 2009

Lily Allen - 22

I was not really enthused about this album (It's Not Me It's You) when it came out in February, I found her debut (Alright Still) incredibly better. However there are a few songs on this record that really sucker punch you in the gut, and this is one of them. This song, "22" is a social commentary of the pressure society puts on most women (and some men) even in this day and age of independence and "equality" to find the perfect partner and settle down by their late twenties. It sounds silly since most women are marrying later in life, or not at all (I really have no desire to "settle down") and the emphasis of having a man "complete" their lives and make them feel "whole." I can't say I have yearned for completeness but I can definitely identify with being let down and realizing that perfection is as real as Pamela Anderson's boobs. I really love how the video portrays the younger Lily in the mirror versus the older more disheveled Lily applying makeup.

No comments:

Post a Comment