August 3, 2009

Anthems for the Recession

I was listening to one of my favorite songs from the summer of 2007 called "Cash Machine" by Hard-Fi when I realized...I should make a recession soundtrack! Ok people the truth is I am bored its a Sunday night and there is nothing to do and no where to go...but keep reading please? At least for my amusement? So here it is: Good Music for the Bad Economy
Let's get started:

Hard-Fi - Cash Machine
There is no song that is better suited than this one to start off our list, one of may favorite songs of the last two years and now the most relevant.



The Clash - I Fought The Law
I know this is actually a cover of the famous Sonny Curtis song, but its already a great tune and its covered by one of my favorite bands of all time. Now when I listen to this piece it has more of a cynical spin for me, I sometimes think the man telling the story is a disenfranchised auto worker...or just an angry postman.



Elliot Smith - Miss Misery
A beautiful song from a great song writer who passed away way too soon, maybe this tune was a window into his wondrous but tormented mind. However, its really about someone who is down on their luck, perfect recession music.



Bloc Party - The Price of Gas
This is from their debut album "Silent Alarm" which came out in 2005, I think the song title is self explanatory.

Sorry I could only find a crappy live version...but if you really want to hear the song I suggest you do some digging of your own, I don't mean to be a killjoy. Moving on...


The Thermals - No Culture Icons
The Thermals are the geeky punk band all other hardcore punks ignore, mainly because they are considered too "indie rock" for the genre. However, they happen to be (in my humble opinion) one of the best punk acts out there. They make lots of politically charged albums about religion, politics, and economics, I thought this tune fit in with my list perfectly.



Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch
What a fitting song to have on this list, the title once again is self explanatory. Its the perfect theme song for all those failed CEOs, CFOs, and managers of hedge funds. I have actually seen them in concert at the Phoenix in Toronto, they played this tune last, and it was definitely worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KBNLrqhft0


Radiohead - Karma Police
Yes the ultimate revenge song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBH97ma9YiI

Nada Surf - See These Bones
"Everyone is right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story" that's how the song opens, and I think its a poignant commentary on society as a whole.



Desaparecidos - Greater Omaha
A statement about over consumption and suburban sprawl and one of Conor Oberst's less publicized musical projects.



The New Radicals - You Get What You Give
Once again, one of those "Karma is a bitch" songs, with feel good lyrics. I figured ending with a happy tune would probably be the way to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91WgM6dNLTE

No comments:

Post a Comment