July 23, 2009

Indie Bands I Can't Stand

I am always dissing mainstream stuff but I never really bitch about my indie rock pet peeves, so today this blog is reserved for bands I don't quite understand...and for all you indie rock fans who may be offended, this is an advanced apology.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
They are indie rock darlings, have been featured in countless issues of the most respected indie rock magazines, and they annoy me to no end. Maybe its the singer's voice, and the mumbling whiny thing he has going on...but its like nails on a chalkboard to me. The monotonous chord progression also bothers me its like their songs never go anywhere, but top music critics disagree with me as well as avid indie rock fans...oh well.



Deerhoof
Where to start with this band, they are so loved, and yet I hate them so very very much. I know the lead singer's voice is supposed to be cute and off key but dear god she can't sing for anything...and I know that is supposed to be the appeal along with the "lets play instruments like we are a middle school band" but I just can't get into it...AT ALL.



Animal Collective
I feel like even mentioning their name on this list will have me shunned by the general indie population, like I'll be excommunicated or something. My converse shoes and cardigans confiscated FOREVER. But it must be done, and for that I am sorry...no hate mail please? This band is worshiped by almost all "high brow" rock and indie music magazines "they are so innovative!, they are so experimental!, they are indie rock royalty!" and I hate them. Maybe I am just too backward to understand their unique sound. I belong to a musical dark ages that cannot appreciate "their organic music," but every time I listen to them it just sounds like a mess.

2 comments:

  1. your blogs pretty boring

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you feel that way, is it the type of music I talk about or my writing style that's the issue for you?

    ReplyDelete