October 14, 2009

Pre-Halloween Playlist

So I need a costume. I was thinking of dressing up as a zombie Nancy Spungen but I'd need a Sid Vicious to get that to work...and I'm not a fan of peroxide blond hair and fishnets. Halloween is my favorite holiday, my birthday comes two days afterward (I used to think my birthday was an extension of it--I was three!) and you get to play dress up and get candy, thus I have concluded it is the best holiday. Sure some people would argue that Christmas or Thanksgiving fit in there somewhere, but I'm not Christian and I belong to a family of non-practicing Jews who neither observe Christmas or Hanukkah, oh and I don't like Turkey so Thanksgiving is out of the running. Therefore Halloween dominates as my holiday of choice. So anyways I have been watching way too much Buffy The Vampire Slayer and I was really attracted to the dark and brooding soundtrack. I never noticed how awesome the music selection was on that show, a lot of Smashing Pumpkins and K's Choice, so I made a playlist. Somewhat inspired by Buffy and somewhat inspired by the fact that I seriously need to get my priorities straight and not put so much time and effort in to thinking what to wear on Halloween.

White Lies - Farewell To The Fairground
Dark and mysterious. White Lies always gives me a dangerous sort of vibe.




Muse - Knights of Cydonia
Speaking of spooky songs, Muse can definitely take home a trophy in that category. I have finally gotten over my dislike for this song, after it was stuck on my mp3 on never ending unstoppable repeat, right before the poor device croaked.



K's Choice - Not An Addict
The ambiance of this song is perfect for a dark October night. Sure its about addiction, but at the same time it's something I could definitely hear on a Buffy episode.



Bright Eyes - Lover I Don't Have To Love
I know at this point you are probably confused, none of the songs on this list are festively "Halloween." However for me, in a strange way Halloween has a semi romantic and melancholy mood. I am not superstitious but sometimes I wish I could believe in ghosts and things that go bump in the night...I find that stuff strangely appealing, and no not on a Twilight level...So anyway this song is probably as "aggressive" as Conor Oberst ever gets but it also conveys great loneliness.



She Wants Revenge - These Things
They are the most disturbing band, all their songs involve serial killers, or just disturbed people in general...and yet I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment